Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Drawing on gouache

A while back I bought some cheap gouache paints by Reeves. I didn't have big expectations of them, but last weekend I figured it was about time I gave them a try.
 
As always when trying out new materials I just filled pages with colour. I was pleasantly surprised. The paint is wonderfully opaque and has lovely bright colours. And I also find it rewets pretty well after drying, which makes it easier to set up a palette for a longer time.
 
So now I had all these coloured backgrounds what would I do with them? I decided to grab a white paintmarker and a black brush pen and just draw.
 
The flowers came from my imagination as did the dashed lines, but the girls and the clothes were done after my ever trusted resource: a mail order catalogue!
I really like the effect of the black drawings over the white dashes. What do you think?
 

10 comments:

  1. Which brand of white paint marker do you use?
    I have tried a bunch and never get the good results that you got! Love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was done with a UniPosca paint marker. I love those. They come in many colours and different sized tips. Another good brand is Molotow, which has even more colours. Make sure you write on a non absorbant ground. Some papers will just suck the paint right in, but usually a second layer will fix that problem. However on top of paint one layer is usually enough. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering on the paint marker too. I just threw another one away because while it would pool paint if I pressed hard on the nib, it wouldn't write a line. I like the backgrounds and even the dash marks with the drawings over them. Very nice. I've heard good things about Reeves paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually most Reeves stuff I find only soso, but they are cheap and perfect for unpretentious play. But these paints seem quite nice.

      Delete
  3. The white marks look very vibrant against the colors. Awhile back I made a mixed media piece involving a bra image, so I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really great journal pages. Will have to get the UniPosca paint marker a try. TFS

    Barb USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb and I think you will like the UniPosca. Enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Well done Caatje! You inspire me because you just DO it. I have all the supplies but seldom get around to actually making art. Ugh! I know that I should just begin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I know that feeling. It's so strange how something that sounds so simple ('just begin') can be so hard sometimes. But really it IS the only thing that works. Hope you get over the hump. Good luck!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...