Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Covering the Real Journal

I finished the Real Journal last June, that is to say I finished the insides. On the outside it was still an ordinary black sketchbook. I had been working on a cover for it for a while already, but after I filled it, it was like the incentive to work on it was gone. This is a good lesson for the future: make sure the journal is completely finished on the outside before you start working in it!;-)

Anyway, all I still had to do was add some beads to the cover piece of cloth, so last weekend I kicked myself in the butt, got my little bowl of supplies together and set up shop on the couch.


These plastic bowls that I once bought and used for painting small pieces of fabric and paper towels are actually also quite handy to transport some supplies for a small fabric project!

In the end it didn't even take all that long to attach the beads to the surface. It was just a matter of finally doing it. When the piece was ready it looked like this:


The fabric already has that patchwork/quilty print, so I didn't do that, but I did add the yarn stiches to the squares and then attached the leather circles with more yarn. The leather was a gift from a friend and this was a nice way to use some of it. The beads are simple plastic children's beads that I got at a discount store, nothing fancy there.

Now it was time to put the whole cover together under the sewing machine. The outside fabric has a pink backing which you can't really see, but it does make the whole cover look nicer (no open edges). And on the inside cover I used a matching flower fabric:


And here's how the Real Journal looks now:






I'm very happy with how it turned out! What I like most about things like this is how I work out an idea in theory in a sketchbook and then sort of make it a reality by putting it together. Most of my art is more of the let's see what happens kind, but with this I really have to think ahead. I like how I actually designed this and then made it happen. :-)

Oh...and one more thing: Am I crazy or is the backside of the outside cover kind of cool all by itself?



I just had to take a picture of it, before it was covered by the backing fabric. I like how you can see the work that went into this piece.

I will definitely be making more handstitched covers or maybe just separate fabric pieces. I'm just having way too much fun with them.

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! And the inside showing your work looks great, too. Glad you got it finished, that's always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, I'm very happy it's done.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful cover. I really like both sides but, the back side is really outstanding. I like the bead work on the front. Fantastic end results for the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat een prachtige kaft is dat geworden! Een mooie mix van materialen. Leuk om ook de binnenkant nog even te zien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Annet. Het is bijna jammer dat die 'verkeerde kant' niet meer te zien is, haha.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! (Reminds me of chocolates...haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea (it takes a real chocolate lover to see chocolates everywhere, haha).

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...